Relevance and Revolution

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Countdown to Camp

I have lately gotten off track and have been blogging about things other than camp. I did promise this blog would have a high focus on Colorado, mountains, humidity-free summer (jealous, aren't you?), marriage status during constant togetherness with no kids to distract us...



Perhaps the absence of camp content in this blog is avoidance. If I don't blog, or think, about ALL the things that need to be done prior to camp, perhaps I won't have to sit in a corner, rocking, sucking my thumb and crying for my mommy.



Needless to say, it's busy. All of the typical end of the year items, plus preparing an entire family for camp. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, an entire family. This means that not only are the Princess and Curly Locks headed for camp, but so is Man Child. This has come about due to several factors:

1. Chef Boy and I really want him to go.

2. He procrastinated at figuring out just how he could sit around all summer and play video games.

3. Repeat number 2.



After many discussions and several days to get used to it, Man Child seems to be looking forward to it. He may not EVER admit this, and I can handle that, because I still have the quote he stated so eloquently as we wound through the switchbacks after I picked him up from the final day of camp the last time he went 2 years ago... ready? ...



Wait- there is a backstory that makes it WAY more potent. Man Child had to be, and I am not exaggerating, drug to camp. He refused even in the closed quarters of the car on the way to Colorado. He insisted he would not have any fun and why, oh why, could he not just sit at home and play video games with his friends. We were, in his eyes, torturing him with an experience not many get to enjoy, which without working there would never be affordable, that opens up so many opportunities for him.. yada, yada. He was sure he would be miserable, if not eaten by a bear. (don't make such promises, I'm sure I at least thought...)





OK, now to the quote. Ready?... "Mom, I wish you could keep going to camp until you were 98 years old."- Man Child



I will never forget this, nor will I let Man Child. This is how I know he will not be miserable and at this point, I don't even hope he is eaten by a bear. He's on a roll in such a good way it is wonderful. It is also amazing to think that only about a month ago I was sure our family would be called in to SRS I was having so many thoughts of wanting to harm him. In the nicest way possible, of course.



I have to insert a short bragging time now. Man Child is feeling really good about himself. He ended a tumultuous year on a very good note. At the recent 9th Grade Awards ceremony he received many awards, including the President's award for Academic Excellence. He feels smart and is extremely modest, let me tell you! This, paired with the amazing 9th Grade Formal expeience - did I mention he let me blow dry his hair? I was balling! I haven't seen any part of this boy that can't be seen through thread bare t-shirts since he was 8 and started showering, and he let me close enough to groom him! This is huge! Anyhoo, he's in such a great place. This is yet another reason I am so excited he is going to camp. It is an amazing place where you learn about yourself, can express true self, and are able to grow. I think it is a pivotal time for him to attend and I am thrilled!



The countdown is: 10 days. Only 10 short days until we leave. Because gas prices are insane, we are thinking of ways to take our more efficient Honda. This would mean our family of 5 in a 2 door Accord instead of spread out in the mini-van. Stop laughing, Julie! The idea is to form a convoy with my nephew who is working his 2nd year as a camp counselor. He has a car that 1 or 2 of us could ride in.
That would mean a countdown to camp of only 8 days!!!! AGHHHHH!!!

This will only work if we get our shit together in enough time to leave 2 days early. I know that doesn't seem like much of a difference, but oh my gosh, life is crazy enough for it to matter tremendously!



As I sit on the floor, counting underwear and attempting to pair socks, I try to look passed the agony of the preparations and see the mountains. Twin Owls on the way to Glen Haven. The butterfly house on the sharpest curve in the road. The first glimpse of mountain top that we see far before we are to our mountain home, which always makes me cry. The T in the road at Lyons that marks the beginning of the climb to Estes Park. St. Mallow Catholic Church, sitting on a huge boulder, where Catholic Chef Boy worked in college. Mount Meeker. The first sighting of elk. Fish Creek Road. Candy's Pie Hole. The freezing mountain stream outside our cabin window.

These thoughts make it hurt a little less when Princess declares she is in no way wearing those stupid shoes for camp, and why would she? it will only save me $50 on new shoes?? That's about a tank and a half of gas...



Did I mention, it's only 10 days till paradise?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home