Relevance and Revolution

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My other 2 cents

Ok, here comes part two of my 2 cents. The other topic for which I climb deftly upon my soapbox is... women's reproductive rights.

Let's really call it like it is. It's the abortion issue.

Again, the apology for all I am about to offend.

Recently, as I was driving to the school of the Princess, I innocently look left to check for traffic and what do I see? Not a mack truck about to hit me, not the afore-mentioned hum-vee, but a panel truck with a 10 week old fetus plastered on it, I would say about 1000 times it's actual size.

My mouth agape, I averted my original route and turned left. I had the light, so I turned at the intersection looking (mouth still agape) right into the driver's seat of said truck, trying desperately to get the driver to look at me so I could shake my finger in shame at him. What do I see upon completing my turn? A second truck with another fetus. Neither driver dared to look at me. I think they felt my scorn, however.

So, I cried.

Of course I did! Who wouldn't cry at such a blatant disregard for humanity? Who wouldn't cry at the thought of all the women who will be forced to see this and think twice about a perfectly good decision that is, I MUST remind you, completely legal? I can't stand these trucks. I can't stand what is inside these trucks, which is a huge display of horrific fear inducing, shock therapy that attempts to uneducate society. I rephrase: miseducate.

I love how the pro-lifer, right wingers take anything a lefty says and makes it sound like immorality on a stick, but they find it acceptable to advocate for bloody fetuses to be shown on campuses and en route in MY town. In actuality, most leftist beliefs, Democratic beliefs, are based on what is good for all. I, personally, find that pretty moral. I know it means evening the playing field so the richies don't get it all, and isn't that just so unfair... I know it means actually considering the consequences of legislation before signing it into law.... I know it means giving a shit about the people the law is intended to help...

Back to the issue at hand. Last week, in KS, our Democratic, pro-choice governor signed a scary piece of legislation. Deemed "Alexa's Law" it gives prosecutors the right to charge someone with murder, manslaughter or battery for intentionally harming a fetus. It was spurred by the murder of a pregnant 14 year old Wichita girl who was murdered last year. The problem is this: the law defines a "person" exists from conception to birth.

The ramifications of this mean that now the panel truck people can say that there is precedent that life begins at conception and therefore, abortion is murder.

I think every person should be able to define life for themselves.
I think every person should have the right to terminate a pregnancy if they feel it is the right decision.
I think every person can think what they want, do what they feel is right, and practice what they preach.
I DO NOT think anyone should be able to throw a 25 foot fetus in my face, force me to have to explain it to my child, or make women feel they are murderers.

I DO discuss issues with my children and I am not embarrassed to do so, however I don't need this image as a prop.

Aboout 2 years ago, I read about a pro-life demonstration that was going to happen in our town. They were planning to line up on the sidewalk on the corner of two very busy streets. I figured there would be a planned counter-demonstration. As I drove by, I realized there wasn't.

I had to do something. I couldn't just drive by and let them think no one disagreed.

So, I parked, ripped off a piece of a cardboard box from my trunk, found a marker and made a sign that said, "Pro- Choice is the Right Choice".

I was shaking as I walked silently the entire way past the people with their own signs. I held it high as I passed lawn chairs with older ladies sitting in them who let me know they would pray for me. One lady looked at me aghast and said, "This is a pro LIFE event!" I told her I realized that.

After I walked all the way down the line and all the way back, they packed up and left. It was probably the scheduled end of the protest, but it sure made me feel powerful and brave I had decided to act.

Here are my overriding messages on this topic: 1. I personally believe that in our current society, making abortion illegal is a death sentence for women; will cause a multitude more homeless, unloved, abused children; and would be a dark cloud hanging over the outdoor wedding of our inalienable rights.
2. We must act. We must take markers and cardboard from our car and make signs. We must organize our lady and men friends, educate our daughters and sons, and ensure the right to choose exists.

Ok, stepping down now, did you all hear a loud thump?

Katha Pollitt:
"Young women need to know that abortion rights and abortion access are not presents bestowed or retracted by powerful men (or women) -- Presidents, Supreme Court justices, legislators, lobbyists -- but freedoms won, as freedom always is, by people struggling on their own behalf."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home