Relevance and Revolution

Monday, May 14, 2007

Things Heard on 3rd Grade Field Trip

Thursday I accompanied the Princess and the rest of the third grade on a field trip around town. The trip coincides with their study of local history, including Quantralls raid, underground railroad, and the Jawhawkers.

It was fun. Mostly it was fun because these kids are pure entertainment.

Here are a few quotes from the trip.

"My Uncle Ralph is a code cracker. He can crack any code or lock."

"J---, stop taking my starbursts."

"My cousin's nickname is booger."

"Your face is a booger!"
(This whole "your face is... fill in the blank... is very popular in this set. I find it annoying and abusive, but they all seem to understand it is in jest. I hope.)

"I'm so thirsty I will die!"

"I can lift this table. I have a lot of muscles. See!" This was followed by a demonstration of how he could, indeed, lift the picnic table at which I and 2 other kiddos sat. Very impressive, I must say.

"Miss L---, are ghosts real. I mean, really, real?"

"Mom, take off that backpack, you look like a dork."

"Don't even go in that train. It is totally boring."

"Your face is totally boring."

This trip reminded me of a trip to the Zoo I went on with Curly Locks when she was in Kindergarten. I sat across from this totally cute, tiny boy. I like him very much and found him to be hysterical.

That was prior to the field trip.

The entire, and I am NOT exaggerating, way to the Zoo, said child repeated in various ways,

"I'm thirsty."

It went something like this...

"I'm thirsty."

me- "Well, we don't have water on the bus, but we'll be there soon."

"But, I'm thirsty."
"Oh, I know you can make it! You're tough. And they have drinking fountains at the zoo."
"But, I'm thirsty."

Keep in mind, this kid is completely adorable. He looks like an African American version of that Lipnicki kid from "Jerry McGuire", with little round glasses. You could eat him up. By now, I wanted to chew him up and spit him out! He said all of this with a big smile on his face and he wasn't whining. Just very matter of fact.

"Ok, when we get there, you can get a drink. But there is no way to get a drink on the bus."

"But, I'm thirsty."

"How about we play a game to think about something else?"

"I'm too thirsty."

"I'm thirsty too, but we just have to wait. Hey, look at that cool motorcycle driving by us. Do you like motorcycles?"

"I'm thirsty."

About the time we were approaching Olathe, around 30 miles, the teacher turned around and told him to can it, in so many words.

He turned away from me, slid down in his bus seat, and barely audibly repeated,

"But, I'm really thirsty."

I should have said,
"Kid, your face is thirsty!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home