Relevance and Revolution

Monday, July 02, 2007

More and More Pics

Sunday was parent visiting day at camp. So, Curly Locks graciously allowed Chef Boy and I to go over to Main Camp and eat lunch with The Princess and Man Child. They are both doing GREAT! First term is almost over and it is amazing that time has flown by so fast. Somehow, at the same time, it seems we've been here forever and 5 minutes.

Here is a shot of The Princess and me after lunch. Is she cute or what? Apparently the desperate rash she had on her thighs is long gone. However, as we drove away watching her walk back down to her cabin, she pulled a totally classic Princess move and hiked up the back of her skirt for a hearty scratch. God, I love her!

No, Peter Frampton is not a camper at Cheley, it's Man Child. We are posing in front of one of the most gorgeous views in camp. It's the Mummy Range. We are standing in front of the riding ring at Main Camp, next to the Chapel. Campers attend a non-denominational Chapel service each Sunday morning. It's filled with singing and people (campers and/or counselors) get up and talk, read a poem, sing a special song, or say what camp means to them. It's fun.
Disclaimer: I've heard of Peter Frampton, but he was a bit before my time, but not Chef Boy is Older Than Me claims Man Child is the spitting image with red hair.






Here is Chef Boy with The Princess and Man Child, again in front of the Mummy Range. We had a great visit with them. We discussed what was happening next term for Princess and how Man Child was feeling about going home, camp next summer, and whether he wanted to hang out at the Heinz House and be Elliott's Manny the rest of the summer. (Blog introducing Elliott coming soon)
For the record regarding Man Child and camp next summer. Please, all of you, read this, comment you have understood, and remind me and Man Child when this becomes an issues next March
Here's how it went:
Chef Boy: "So, you going to camp next summer?"
Man Child: "Yeah." (Said in the "Duh, like of course, what were you thinking, you are so out of touch, duh" way that only 15 year old's can muster.)
So, I guess camp is going well and he is having fun.

On a side note, I had a mystery solved for me this week. It involved poop.
Please, keep reading.

Although I'm here at camp, I have it pretty luxurious compared to the backpackers and outcampers who go out for up to 5 days at a time. Yes, this means they load all the things they need in a backpack, put it on their- you guessed it- back, and hike all day. Then they stop and camp out, cook out, go to bed, get up the next day and pack it all back up and keep hiking.

Somewhere in there, someone's got to have to poop.

One of the most important messages of Cheley is "leave no trace". This means pack everything out- don't leave anything to muss up nature.

I know I'm insane, but I've obsessed about this pooping in the woods thing! I've wondered, do they have special bags they put it in and pack it out? That would be disgusting. I can see every day taking a turn at carrying the group's poop!

Turns out, they bury it. They go away from the campsite, dig a hole at least 6 inches, poo, then cover it back up. I didn't dare ask about the toilet paper yet.

Now I'm not sissy, I've grown up peeing in the woods and on gravel roads. I AM a country girl, for goodness sake! However, I always made sure there was a bathhouse near every campsite I've ever used.

One counselor did divulge that sometimes you don't know you are going to poop until once you get going, and then it might just have a large rock to cover it up.

I'm pretty impressed by this and that my kids are doing it and think nothing of it.

Not only can they poop in the woods, they can cook, set up a campsite, build a fire, all the while respecting the nature around them.

So many lessons learned, by all of us, here at camp.



1 Comments:

Blogger Go Go Girl said...

Poo? Only you would wonder about poo.....

Makes me also wonder about the special monthly visit from our least favorite aunt.....

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home